Thursday, December 18, 2014

"RESPECT", The Gentle Side Of Life...

Respect, this is a word that is used verbally, but has been lost when it comes to action. The lack of respect for self and others. Being a mother of a 16 (girl) and 17(boy) year old. I try to stay current on what they are into. As I sit and watch the numerous videos on social media, Music videos, TV
shows etc. One thing is for sure there is a lack of respect. How can we blame them when adults are not always leading by example. Sadly they will follow the numerous aps on social media because it seem cool, and look at us as old and out of touch. What has become clear is that we must begin to teach our youth to respect themselves before they will accept the value inside of someone else. As I watched the way teens today carry themselves I knew that something needed to be done. First I needed to start in my own home. I saw my son with his pants sagging(absolute NO NO) Then my daughter tried to find the tightest clothes possible whew HELP!! Then I realize this is what is popular, this is what society promotes. So I had the TALK. Not the birds and the bees, but the respect talk, and how important your reflection of self respect plays on how you are treated in the world. We have to teach our children to carry themselves according to their future. This is something that need to be taught at all ages not just teens. Respect is earned and in order to receive it you have to be worthy of it. Its time for our young ladies to stand bold and demand respect, because if we fail to teach them their value now, the want know their worth later, and they will be swept away by the social media superstars of the world. We have to teach our young men that there is value in themselves. Teach them that young ladies are not objects, that opening doors, walking closest to the road, bringing flowers, meeting parents are not signs of weakness, but signs of self respect and worth. Respect is one of the most important pieces of any wardrobe, because you never know what is waiting for you and  Respect just may be the key to unlock it.

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! If you learn how to respect ourselves, we can know how to respect others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I try to teach my kids, and I pray that it will carry over to adulthood

      Delete
  2. Great post. Learning to respect ourselves first so we can respect others. Love this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you . So true respect has to be learned before it can be given

      Delete